Kovil Veedu in Tamil, means ‘A House of Deity’. When the British came to Malaya in the late 18th century, the Indian traders, particularly, the Nattukottai Chettiars also known as Nagarathars, from Tamil Nadu, India, followed soon and in 1818 they built and occupied a row of three storey shop houses. Chettiars are devotees of the Lord Murugan and so built the Kovil Veedu in 1850, atop their block of shop houses, installing a sacred deity of the Lord Murugan in the form of Sri Thandayuthapani. The Chettiars built this Kovil Veedu in their quarters mainly to have immediate access for prayers to their cherished Lord Murugan. The Kovil Veedu as such is essentially private and exclusive to the Chettiar community.
Daily prayers are conducted and special prayers are conducted on auspicious days such as Sashti, Karthigai, Deepavali, Tamil New Year and the like. During the major festival of Thaipusam in Penang, the golden deity, of Lord Thandayuthapani begins His majestic journey, on the silver chariot, in a procession, and goes to Waterfall temple from the Kovil Veedu and returns back to reside at the Kovil Veedu in a similar grand fashion at the end of the celebrations.